Thursday, July 17, 2014

Run Commuter Bag: Ultraspire Fastpack

I am an unashamed Ultraspire fanboy.  I love almost all of their products, I run more with their products than anything else.  I picked up a Fastpack about a year ago and it has sat. I have never really used it, it is too big for training runs.  I had bought it specifically for a two day run/hike I was going to do with my son next year (he's going to ride his bike). 
But since I am having such a problem finding the perfect run commute bag I figured I would knock the dust off an take it for a whirl.
If you have ever used anything Ultraspire then you are familiar with "The Front".  It is the same front they use for most of their vests, and for good reason.  
Right side has a stretch mesh bottle holder and above that is their magnet closure small pouch, meant for electrolyte  
pills but also great for cash since it is sweatproof.  I stow my iPod shuffle in there when it rains.
Left side has a small upper stretch pocket good for gels and a larger zippered pocket below with an external stretch mesh pouch.  
The back has a nice stretch zippered pouch on the flap that snaps down to an external stretch stow pouch.  
Large bottle storage holders on both sides.
The main compartment is just over 16L.
And the waist belt  straps have a stretch pocket and zippered pocket.  
The real genius of this pack is it's form.  The usual side adjustment straps are replaced with one continuous strap that slides through the back portion.  This means as you swing your arms and swivel the pack does not shift and pull as much.  It also means there is only one adjustment that needs to be made for the 
sides. No more trying to make sure both straps are even.  In conjunction with the waist strap the fit can get really dialed in.  I do find it takes about the first half mile running and messing with it to get it right but once it is there it is there. It becomes a part of you.  
Now let's get to my beef with this design.   
First there needs to be two chest straps! They have then on their smaller bags so this their biggest should also have two.  
I would also like to see the torso sections a little longer.  They ride up a little on me but then again I am bigger than the average runner.
The other gripe I have is only specific to evaluating this as a run commuting bag and that is bags zippered access.  It is very narrow.  Great for stuffing things down but bag for trying to get folded clothes in flat.

Function- 4/5
Looks- 4/5
Quality- 5/5 
Weight- 5/5
Price- 4/5

Like I said earlier I have the older model.  The newer one has the better mesh and even lighter materials. I have to ding function as a commuting bag due to the 
narrow opening.  Over all probably one of the best options I will have for run commuting for awhile.  Thanks for reading.. Gotta run!

No comments:

Post a Comment