Saturday, June 14, 2014

Toe socks?!?

Ok this was not a planned review or event.  If you asked me about toe socks I think about all the cute sorority girls I knew in college with their cutesy little toe socks and flip flops...
Prior to this I owned one pair of Injinji toe socks that I wore exclusively with my Vibram Five Fingers KMD Sports. That's it! No toe socks for me thank you.

Then this happened...
I received some other samples with my Hydrapak Wooly's for review (pleae read the review of you haven't).

So here I am with not one, not two, but three new pair of Injinji toe socks!  What am I going to do with these?  I run with my vibrams about once a week and I do laundry so I don't need 4 total pairs of toe socks.  

Then it happened...slowly, accidentally really.  I had the socks on to try then on for size and it came time for me to run.  I am a frugal personal sometimes, or sometimes lazy.  I already had socks on so why not wear them, even if I wasn't going to use my Vibrams.  The idea was insane but I did it anyway.  

It felt weird at first, I won't lie, like little wool condoms on each toe. Then it felt less weird, I mean nobody knows I'm wearing girly toe socks but me.  

Then a weird thing happened, I started getting hot and sweating (this is not the weird part, this is quite normal) but my toes felt dry and cool.  There was almost a breeze between them.  Then it hit me!
They were like 2 in 1 shorts, the kind with built in compression shorts.

I used to chafe like a... I don't know thing that chafes a lot! But then I found the beauty of compression shorts under my shorts or shorts with built in compression shorts. That's what these are like!

So I received a pair of Original Weight Performance 2.0 Run No-Show Length
A pair of Mid Weight Performance 2.0 Trail Micro Length
And a pair of Light Weight Performance 2.0 Run No-Shows, which look the same as the original weight, they are just slightly thinner.

The Trail Midweights have become my go to socks for my Vibrams.  I love the absolutely seamless feel of the socks.  They are slightly padded and thicker so I find they work very well with my Vibrams giving them a snugger feel and adding a bit of cushion.

The Run 2.0's are pretty much indistinguishable from each other.  The one pair is slightly... thinner.  

Again I would never have gone out to buy
a bunch of Injinji socks.  Hell I don't even know how to pronounce it (looked it up apparently it's In-Gin-Gee) I was saying it like it was Injini! Like N-Genie! I was totally missing the extra J.  

My toes feel fresher and dryer after my runs now.  I am a big toe splayer so these don't inhibit my toe splay at all. In fact they even assist with toe splay.  And just like compression shorts for your thighs, no chaffing or sweat pooling.  They keep your toes drier and I cannot even imagine generating enough friction to get a blister in these.

These are a strong reccomend.  I recently   
subscribed to Runnerbox which is a subscription box of the month club type thing and apparently they often give out Injinji socks.  The thrill of random nutrition, the chance to get new products from obscure companies, these all intrigued me.  Knowing that there was a good chance I would get more toe socks... Priceless.  

So I learned that toe socks can go in non-toed shoes and that I really do like having my toes dry and comfy.  

Pros:

Virtually seamless construction
Very sturdy feeling construction 
Nice heel tabs, socks stay at right height
Excellent sweat wicking
Eliminates toe on toe friction

Cons:

I feel kinda like a sissy wearing toe socks...but I'm getting over it.
Fitting can be tricky (I got lucky) some people have longer or shorter toes relative to their foot length.  

This is my first total recommend. As in I would recommend  these to everyone.  The only people I cannot recommend these to are those people who like the narrow toe box shoes with no room for toe wiggle.  Those people are called crazy so I don't even think they are reading this.  Well I'm going to go to sleep now. I'm going for a Father's Day run tomorrow morning so if you will pardon me... I gotta go sleep....


1 comment:

  1. The design and manufacturing are done in such a way that there is no burden on the feet due to a lightweight style. Also, the socks pair enables one to do even the toughest Yoga move without much of the trouble. click

    ReplyDelete