Saturday, June 14, 2014

Made from Skratch Labs

So Mary from Skratch Labs sent me some samples to try of their Exercise Hydration Mix.  They have an everyday and an extreme version, the everyday has l
ower electrolytes while the extreme has... you guessed it an extremely large amount 1700mg I think.  

In the interest of transparency... I got these free, free does not change my review, it only makes the review faster because I don't have to buy it! 

On to the actual review you came for!

Here is what it looks like...
I am a child of the 80's, I was raised by an NES system! So the 8-bit graphics for the fruits and the packaging appeal to me visually, but as I will explain later the logos don't fit the product for me.

What's in it?

Lemons + Limes: Serving Size: 24g- makes 16 oz prepared.
Amount Per Serving: 
Calories 80, 
Calories from Fat 0, 
Total Fat 0g (0% DV),
 Saturated Fat 0g (0% DV),
 Trans Fat 0g, 
Cholesterol 0mg (0% DV), 
Sodium 360mg (15% DV), 
Potassium 40mg (1% DV), 
Total Carbohydrate 21g (7% DV), Fiber 0g (0% DV), 
Sugars 20g, 
Protein 0g, 
Vitamin A (0% DV), 
Vitamin C (35% DV), 
Calcium (6% DV), Iron (0% DV), Magnesium (10% DV).
Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Only 80 calories but it's got a good bit of sodium which is nice this time of year.

What does it taste like?


Seriously this stuff really does taste like it is made from scratch.  If you gave me this and told me that you had made it your self at home from fresh ingredients I would believe you.  This could be a running DIY internet recipe.  

Now I'm not saying it is the best tasting, though it does taste really good, like a salted Margarita version of lemonade and Gatorade.  But not too sweet, just salty tasting enough to be quenching, not acidic at all.  I tried it out in the heat and had no GI issues at all, very satisfying. And I cannot stress enough it really did taste fresh to me.

There are some drinks that taste good when you are sipping them while chilling on the sofa.  Most of these don't taste good on a hot run when you are very thirsty.  By the same token most drinks that taste awesome when you are sweating and dying of thirst tend to taste a bit flat and dilute when you are piloting the sofa. This is definately a taste you earn, the hotter and harder it gets, the better it tastes.  

My only real reservation is the carbohydrate profile... It's all sugar.  I would like some long chain maltodextrins or something with a longer burn time.  Other than that it really is satisfying and does not taste like it was made in a factory or a lab...which brings me to my main gripe. And it's a petty one!

With their logo and packaging and name...
I am expecting a very artificial, chemically, like it was made in a "lab", candy taste.  Instead I think the logo and name should be changed to "Skratch Kitchen" and have an old fashioned font and logo like this
Or this
Or this 
Or this
I would love to see the packaging redone as a super retro turn of the century product.  

So this is a definate recommend and I myself will be buying some more next time I have to get running "groceries".

All the flavors were good, I don't think I really have a favorite. I'll probably just go with the lemon lime, actually I think combining the orange and the lemon lime might make the perfect flavor. 

They have a hot cinnamon flavor that might actually be good on a very cold day kept hot in an insulated running bottle. 

Pros

One stop fluid and electrolyte shopping
Tastes very fresh
Very smooth, not acidic or overt sweet
Single serving packaging very easy to use 

Cons

Questionable carb profile for longer activity 

Petty Crap

Techie/Nerd Logo just doesn't fit what the product tastes like!

Steong reccomend, especially in the heat, and especially if you can keep it ice cold in an insulated bottle, might I suggest the HydraPak Wooly?
See my review earlier...So go out and pick up a bag of Skratch Labs Exercise Hydration Mix. Or as I will be calling it...
"Skratch Kitchen's Miracle Energy Salt Tonic and Banjo Liniment" 

More to come soon! But right now... I gotta run!



1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure I need this in my life. I hate Gatorade.

    ReplyDelete