Monday, February 20, 2017

Cadence Insoles

I hate insoles! This is what Superman sees when he looks at my right foot...
That is my personal Frankenfoot.  I had to wear hard plastic orthotics that covered almost my entire lower foot up to my ankle.  Sucks!  Never again.  Screw orthotics!

So I was listening to a podcast of Trail Runner Nation about when you should consider an insole.  I love listening to those guys and generally respect their views so I was curious.  Then they had this guy John Hinds on talking about his company, Cadence.  

He seemed reasonalble and even advocated a semi-rigid more flexible insole.  It sounded too good to be true.  Aren't all after market insoles either stiff as crap orthotic wannabes or cheap Walmart jelly soles?

So I tracked them down and challenged John to see if his insoles could convince the skeptic.  

Here's the box I got...

That is a hand written note from Mr Hind himself! I can feel the love!

The packaging

Not too bad.  Logo is kind of late 80's early 90's.
The actual insoles themselves, I call this color "Traffic Cone Orange"
 The dark side of the insole

The heel is very interesting since it is not a solid plastic cup.  


This gives it a much softer feel especially when just standing in them.

Here is the company's exploded view


So initials thoughts, they need some kind of print on the top to make them not look so generic Walmart.  Something like Remind does but not quite as crazy


I initially tried these guys in my Hoka's to make the super soft squish ride of my dreams. But unfortunately they squeaked. So in addition to looking like clown shoes they sounded like them too.  I felt like I was straight killing chipmunks with every step.

Then I tried them in my Newtons...

And that's when the magic started.  From now on the only complaint I can even try to make is that the extra weight of the insole can be felt in the hand while holding the shoe.  But on the run and just walking around there is no extra weight felt.  I even wore these all day while helping my brother in law move his second story condo... Lots of stairs.

The magical blue foam is awesome.  Not too soft, not too firm, it was just right. The arch support and firm orthotic portion was felt but not intrusive. Kind of like a coach who just kind of nudges you and head nods and makes facial expressions.  Verses the yelling, screaming, shoving coach that is what I feel most hard orthotics are.

The best was to describe the feeling of running in Cadence insoles would be running if the world was turned into that soft rubber flooring that some gym floors are made of.  

Or to describe it with pictures


Shoe edition... before


After...


Ok all joking aside.

These really have just blown me away.   Soft and supportive at the same time.  And so freaking comfortable.  I don't know if my opinion of insoles has changed but I will say that I wish all my shoes had these in them right now.  Definitely worth the upgrade.  

I've pounded these guys up and down stairs while holding sofas and boxes.  Hit the asphalt and even some of the horrible concrete with these guys in my Newtons and the difference in the ride was noticeable and appreciated. Like I said it was like someone was running ahead of me laying out the rubber mat carpet for me.  

So in summary:

Kind of boring graphics
Heavier than stock insoles
Soft and cushioned
Flexible support
Open heel cup
Will totally pimp your run!

Really enjoyed these and I'm looking forward to watching these guys grow.  In the time since I got these and have taken them out for their test runs they have added another model to their line up. 

I want to see some more eye catching graphics and different colors.  

But really great product!

If you like the site please leave a comment in the comments section.  If you love the site pleas click one of the amazon links to make your next purchase.  It supports the site.  

Thanks for reading but...

Gotta run!

Addendum...

So John from Cadence emailed me back and said to try some baby powder in the shoes before you put down the insoles to reduce the squeak.  And like oil on a door hinge... It works!  Also I put them in my Hoka Challenger ATR's and they worked fine with no squeaking.  They have returned to my Newtons were they will remain till the Newtons die.  I think the soles might outlast the shoes...


4 comments:

  1. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post.
    orthotic insoles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read lot's of articles on the internet but found few post which explain all the
    initials things which a readers wants. and i found that thing in this post.
    Thank you sharing such a informative post and share your ideas.
    Click if you read more about orthotics chino

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was really insightful.
    Thanks for such a nice content.
    Cheers
    BTW if anyone interested more have a look theshoesfinder.com thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice share. I really impressed with your efforts. Keep continuing to write a blog more like this. I shared here top battery heated insoles review, visit once.

    ReplyDelete